Check out this delicious homemade family recipe for Pai Siamu - Tongan for Jam Pie!
With it's buttery scone-like texture and sweet jam filling, this is the perfect tea-time treat! Just make sure you serve it with alot of whipped cream and butter!
Recipe courtesy of ilovecoconutcream.com
- 3½ cups of plain flour plus extra
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 100 grams of butter (cold)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 - 1½ cups of milk (you can substitute with coconut milk)
- ¼ cup of caster sugar
- extra milk
- 5 tablespoons of jam
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift 3 & ½ cups of flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Grate the butter into the flour mixture with a cheese grater or simply cut it into cubes and then rub it into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and 1 cup of milk and quickly mix it in with a metal spoon until it forms a dough. Try not to over mix the dough. If the mixture is still too dry, add a little more milk.
- Flour a board with the remaining flour. Transfer dough to the board and knead the dough a few times until it comes together. To make 2 medium pies divide the dough into 2 and roll out into a 1cm thick rectangular shape.
- Spread each rectangle generously with jam and then roll it up into a long scroll.
- Place each scroll onto the lined baking tray, about 2 cm apart. Brush the top with a little milk and then bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Use a skewer to test the Pai has cooked through.
NOTES Delicous served with whipped cream or butter.