Surprising benefits of the Coconut Embryo
The mature coconuts are collected regularly for their milk. You can usually crack open a coconut for lunch and in the older, mature coconuts you'll sometimes find a soft, spongey type formation on the inside of the coconut.
This happens when the coconut is ready to shoot some leaves out and is an edible, soft predecessor. This part is actually the Coconut Cotyledon which is sometimes called the 'Coconut Embryo' or 'Coconut Apple' and is suspended in germination and is generally eaten raw.
Samoans call this part of the Coconut O'o, Tongans, Tahitians and Cook Islanders call it 'Uto, Niueans name for it is Niu Tupu, the Fijians call it Vara and Hawaiians refer to it as iho or lolo!
We all know that Coconut water and meat are very nutritious so don't underestimate this one!
Here are the Top 10 Health benefits of the Coconut Embryo:
1. Supports immune system health: it is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite.
2. Provides a natural source of quick energy and enhances physical and athletic performance.
3. Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals
4. Improves insulin secretion and symptoms associated with diabetes.
5. Helps protect the body from cancers due to insulin reduction, removal of free radicals that cause premature aging and degenerative disease.
6. Reduces risk of heart health and improves good cholesterol (HDL).
7. Restores and supports thyroid function.
8. Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infection.
9. Promotes weight loss.
10. Helps keep hair and skin healthy and youthful looking, prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, age spots, and provides sun protection