Ever wondered how to make that yummy palusami you've had at island feasts?
Tarisi Vunidilo shares her Fijian style method so you can do it like the best of them. Also make sure to check out our item on how to make a 'lovo'.
Steps to making yummy Fiji style palusami:
1. Get yourself some 'Rourou' or taro (dalo) leaves. You can buy these at a number of shops in Aukilani but you have to do your research about where to find them (sssh, Otahuhu across from McD's). Or, grow them yourself or ask a friendly islander.
2. Prepare chopped onion and optionally garlic and ginger. Also, lay out your rourou on bench in piles from largest to smallest.
3. Place coconut creame into a bowl, add onion and tinned corned beef (tini bulumakau). Stir.
4. Place tin foil on bench.
5. Using a spoon spread palusami mix from the bowl onto the tin foil.
6. Place rourou on foil and spread palusami mix over leaves
7. Layer rourou leaves on top, spreading palusami mix over leaves making sure there is a good moist coverage
8. Roll the rourou once then fold either side of the rourou, fold twice more.
9. Grab the sides of the tin foil and crunch to enclose your yummy palusami
10. Place it in your lovo oven and cook for an hour or so
11. Take it out, open it up - and enjoy!!