Takihi Taro & Pawpaw Bake
- 1-2 medium taro (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium pawpaw or papaya
- 800 ml coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- ½ onion thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Peel and remove seeds of pawpaw and slice into thin slices.
- If using fresh taro, peel and slice taro into thin slices. If using frozen taro, firstly cook taro in a pot of hot water until the taro is cooked and is soft but firm. Then allow to cool enough to slice into thin slices.
- Take a large casserole dish and place a layer of taro slices into the dish. Then sprinkle a few onion slices, then add a layer of pawpaw and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Continue this process, layering until all the taro and pawpaw is used. Season with salt.
- Pour coconut cream until just covering the taro mixture. Top up with a little water to fill the dish if required. Sprinkle extra sugar on top, then cover with foil and bake for around 1-1&1/2 hours* or until the taro and pawpaw is soft and cooked through.
- *If you were using frozen taro and had already cooked it before slicing, then reduce cooking time to around 50 minutes.
Source: I LOVE COCONUT CREAM